Sun. Aug. , 11:30-5:30pm
Call Cole Gallery at 425.697.2787 or register online.
Cole Art Studio located on the lower level of Cole Gallery. 107 5th Ave. S., Edmonds 98020
Painting should be fun and an outlet for your creative energy, and you should feel safe to learn in an environment that is helpful and encouraging and NOT judgmental or stressful. This is the place for that! Angela will give you some ideas on how to get started in this versatile medium, helping you to feel more confident through the skills you will be practicing and the tools you’ll get to know.
What you can expect to learn:
- what kinds of brushes make what kind of marks, and what brands to buy
- helpful tools to aid you in getting your drawing, values, and colors right
- where to begin and how to move forward without getting “stuck”
- how to layer your paint without making mud
- What to wear: clothes that can get stained
- What to bring: a smile and your painting supplies
Georgian Oil Color 10 tube Introduction Set by Daler-Rowney (or equivalent). Artists new to oil painting will find that this introductory set contains the appropriate colors necessary to begin experimenting. The set contains ten tubes of 22ml Georgian oil colors including burnt sienna, cadmium red hue, cadmium yellow hue, crimson alizarin, French ultramarine blue, lamp black, lemon yellow, sap green, titanium white and yellow ochre.
- disposable paper palettes work well, but a permanent palette will keep the paints for longer - wood, plastic or glass work well too.
- Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits (or, to be more earth friendly, you can use Walnut Oil instead) and a glass or metal container with lid to keep them in.
- Glass or metal container for mineral spirits
- Oil Painting Fast-dry medium: 2 or 4oz Neo Megilp by Gamblin, or Walnut Alkyd Medium, plus a small palette knife to use with it.
- One inch sized flat brush
- One 1/4-1/2-inch flat or filbert brush
- One round brush, small-to-medium sized (if it has a nice point to it, size doesn’t matter too much.)
- Paper Towels, bag for garbage
- 11x14-inch canvas or canvas panel
- Tabletop or standing easel
OR Pay $15 supply fee to the instructor for use of her paints, brushes, and walnut oil (in place of mineral spirits). You will still need to bring a palette, canvas or canvas panel, paper towels, container for mineral spirits and an easel.