HOW TO commission A PAINTING
A commissioned painting is an heirloom that can be passed down for generations. I would love to work together with you to create a memory of a loved one, a special memory, or place that is important to you. Pricing is by size, and I usually require about 3-6 months to complete a piece. Contact me to start the process!
How the process works
- We meet (in person or on the phone) and talk about your project - do you have a favorite pet you'd like to honor, a loved one who is dear to you? Whatever it is, I get an idea of what kind of piece you'd like to have in your home or office.
- A photo shoot is arranged, if necessary. I prefer to take photos myself most of the time, as I can arrange lighting and such to work best in a painting. What makes a good photo doesn't always lend itself to a good painting. We'll work together on that.
- Once the photos have been shot, I create rough thumbnail sketches to get an idea of how the pieces would go together on a canvas, and send that to you for your approval.
- After one sketch is approved, and the size (and price) is decided upon, it's time for the down payment. Half of the fee is due up front, and is non-refundable, to help offset the cost of supplies and time. I take most major credit cards and cash is always welcome.
- Once the painting is ready, I contact you for a viewing, and will usually send you a photo of the painting via email. (One hour of revisions is included in your cost, any revisions beyond that will be billed at $90/hr.)
- Final payment is due upon delivery of the painting. You will get the completed artwork (varnished and ready to hang) and a receipt of purchase. You are welcome to purchase prints of the piece to give family members or keep for yourself if you'd like.
Note: a painting is not a perfect rendering of your image. I use artistic license to move elements in the background to suit the piece, and will do my best to get a likeness of the people/animals in the painting. Likenesses are very difficult - I work hard instead on getting the right shapes, values, and color in the portrait and usually follows.
Timeline: I usually require 3-4 months advance notice to begin a painting, but may have a backlog. Be sure to contact me at the earliest possible date so that I have the time available to complete your commission.
Pricing: I price by size. For portraits, 8x10-inches is the minimum size (one person or animal). We will work together to fit your budget. A lot depends on the resource material. Commissions usually range between $500 and $2000.
Returns & Refunds: Because commissions are custom paintings, they can not be returned or exchanged after the final payment has been made. Refunds will not be given on the deposit for a commission as it covers my costs and partial time spent creating the piece. Thank you for understanding!
Ready to start? Contact me and we'll get the process rolling.